Monday, January 28, 2013

The Absent-Minded Poster

I really love to laugh.  My life is generally steeped in difficulty and chaos, so laughing is very important to me.  My favorite person to laugh at (or with) is Steve Martin.  When I was very young, I had a friend, Genie Hero.  Genie was a theater geek, went to the local performing arts school and new cool guys with crazy piercings and even crazier cars.  She played this song for me, and it was transforming.  This is not Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor (which was the dominant comedy at the time)-not offensive or rude, but smart and funny.  I never knew funny could be smart.  Here is some of my favorite Steve Martin.
These are great examples of I guess what is comedic about the absurd.  I still have the same sensibility:  What is truly funny is truly subversive.

Genie is now a successful actress and has a very creative position in the arts somewhere- I am too embarrassed to get in touch.  I  cyber spy on her every once in a while.  I hope she knows what an impact she had on me-  she planted the seed in my mind about what I am constantly in search of- something DIFFERENT.  Something I have not seen before.  Something I have to deconstruct.

That sensibility carried over into my academic life, too.  But that is boring.  And this was supposed to segue into Anthony Jeselnik at some point, but maybe later.  So, enjoy the Steve Martin.  I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment